Data Center Technician
Category: Information Technology
Area Code: 843
Job Type: 2: Contract to Perm
Location/City: SC - Charleston
We are currently engaged with a client seeking a Data Center Technician. In this role, the Data Center Technician will:
- Monitor data center systems and network performance, navigating multiple operating systems, restarting servers, working knowledge of hardware, software applications, and data center equipment.
- Assists with scheduled downtime events and project activities including any of the following: installation, termination, testing and labeling of all cabling, software installations, moving and installation of cabinets, racks, hardware installation including and not limited to: shelves, PDU s, rails, cable management, and customer equipment.
- Performs systems backups, insuring daily backups run successfully, review of backup logs, restarting failed jobs, catalogues tape activities, archival, retrieval, offsite storage processes, BC/DR for all systems and reporting status changes to Management.
- Accurately measures/records vital statistics, incidents, change records, logs and produces appropriate reports to include daily shift reports.
- Conducts troubleshooting including escalating and effectively communicating operational and system health issues.
- Resolves routine helpdesk calls in a timely and professional manner.
- Regularly contribute suggestions for improvements.
- Monitors, corrects and reports security policies issues conforming to Data Center Standard Operating Procedures.
- Coordinate, interact & assist vendors.
The appropriate individual will have the following experience:
- Comp TIA Network + & A+ highly preferred.
- Degree in Computer Science or Information Technology is preferred
- Technically proficient with Windows Server 200x, Windows XP/7, HP-UX, UNIX, Linux, Netbackup, Avamar, Microsoft office applications.
- Install and build servers and operating systems, configure network settings (IP addresses, DNS Servers, etc). Configure RAID levels, perform KVM and network cabling installation and assure network connectivity.
- Understanding of networking; topology and network management.
- Innate troubleshooting ability.
- Respond to and actively participate in critical situations to restore information access to users.
- Data Center, EMC Avamar/Data Domain/Networker, Solarwinds Orion preferred.
In order to arrange a preliminary interview, please forward a Word copy of your resume with your complete contact information. We are unable to sponsor Visa's for this role. Local candidates preferred. Personal Interviews are required.
New Directions is an Information Technology Recruiting & Staffing firm that provides our clients: consulting; project staff augmentation and traditional hire services for: Enterprise Business Software; Business Intelligence & Data Warehousing; and Enterprise Applications Development, Infrastructure, Operations and Associated Technologies. Our success and subsequent growth has been based on leveraging our clients' technology with talented people.